Welcome to our selection of shipwreck coins and artefacts. Shipwreck coins and artefacts have become very collectable maritime antiques.  Each item tells the story of a disaster and that of the ships that were lost. Who doesn't love a tale about lost or sunken treasure.

In the shipwreck artefacts category you will find shipwreck coins, portholes, musket balls, copper fixing pins, slave tokens and ships fittings.

Below is our selection of shipwreck coins and artefacts


A brass boat roundel in the form of a belt with ships name and house flag. Shipwreck artefact recovered from the H.M.Y. MEKONG that was wrecked off Gristhorpe, Yorkshire on 12th March 1916. The ship was designed by Cox & King of Falmouth and built by Ramage & Ferguson of Leith in 1906, a luxury steam yacht of 903 tons, she was 213 feet long with a beam of 30 feet. A triple expansion steam engine of 204 horse power gave her a top speed of 16 knots, she had a sleek clipper bow and a teak deckhouse. She was originally named MAUND and was owned by Adam Singer, of sewing machine fame. Width 21cm / 8.25 inches. Height 21cm / 8.25 inches.

A period marine pierhead painting of S.S.MEKONG

S.S. MEKONG wrecked on the rocks at Gristhorpe.


Shipwreck artefact. A  brass ship's porthole recovered from the wreck of S.S. GEMINI which was  torpedoed off St.Ives, Cornwall on 20th July 1918. It has been  re-glazed and converted into an attractive knot board containing 11 knots, bends and hitches.

The details of the shipwreck have been painted around the outside edge of the porthole.


Antique ship's depth sounding lead.

A ships sounding lead / depth finding device, recovered from a shipwreck.

made from lead with an eight sided tapering design, complete with tallow hole to sample seabed composition.

Length 34cm / 13.5 inches.


A brass ships porthole which has been recovered from a shipwreck and converted into a unique maritime artefact.

The Irish steamship UMBRE ran aground during thick fog on Monday 20th February 1899 off the North Cornish coastline.

The S.S. UMBRE was owned by the Cork Steamship Company Ltd and was built in 1898 by Wigham Richardson & Co at Newcastle on Tyne.

The porthole has been glazed and contains a photograph of the ship aground on the rocks and the story of the ships loss.


Shipwreck artefact. A copper fixing pin recovered from the wreck of H.M.S. ANSON, wrecked on  Loe Bar, Cornwall on 29th Dec 1807. Mounted on hardwood base with brass  plaque. The copper fixing pin has Naval Broad Arrow marks stamped along its length. Base measures 14.5" (37cm) x 6" (15cm)

Antique ship's porthole / scuttle recovered from a shipwreck.

Opening brass door, brass back plate with single dog clamp.

As recovered from the seabed and complete with marine growth and Verdigris, broken glass. Can be supplied cleaned & polished if required.

14.5 inch / 37 cm max diameter, 8 inch / 20 cm glass.


Shipping line glassware and crockery from Cornish Shipwrecks. The Captains of these stricken vessels presented these items to the people who helped rescue the shipwrecked sailors.

Glasses and cup from the shipwreck of the French sailing ship SOCOA, which ran aground near Lizard point during fog on 31st July 1906. The ship was later re floated after jettisoning her cargo of cement that was in barrels.

Cup from the shipwreck of the Steamship CLAN MALCOLM, which ran aground near Lizard point during fog on 26th September 1935. The ship sank and became a total loss.


A large antique ship's porthole or scuttle recovered  from the wreck of HMHS REWA which was torpedoed 19 miles West of  Hartland Point on 4th January 1918. She was a 7308 ton hospital ship that was carrying 279 wounded soldiers. Remarkably only 4 lives were  lost during the sinking. Opening brass and glass door, brass back plate with double dog clamps.

20 inch / 51cm max diameter.


Shipwreck artefact, framed shipwreck coin and treasure recovered from the wreck of the Dutch East India ship HOLLANDIA, wrecked on the Scilly Isles 1743. 

A Spanish Piece of Eight or Pillar Dollar dated.

The shipwreck coin is mounted and framed with the original certificate of authenticity, signed by the salvors.


A period oil painting of the Cunard steamship MALTA which ran aground at Kenidjack Castle, near Cape Cornwall on 15th October 1889. The painting is very accurate with lots of detail. (read the story about the shipwreck below )



A ship's porthole recovered from the Cunard steamship MALTA, which ran aground at Kenidjack Castle, near Cape Cornwall on 15th October 1889. Brass back plate with opening glazed door and complete with hinged deadlight / storm shutter.

A unique artefact from this early Cunard steamship.

(read the story about the shipwreck below )

The S.S. MALTA was owned by the CUNARD STEAMSHIP COMPANY and was built in 1865 by J. & G. Thomson Shipbuilders, Glasgow. This early transitional steamship was powered by both sails and a 212 horsepower compound steam engine and fitted with a modern screw propeller.

The MALTA was an elegant iron hulled ship that had a streamlined clipper ship bow which was adorned with a magnificent golden female figurehead. The ship had twin masts and was Brigantine rigged, carrying square sails on the foremast and fore & aft sails on the mainmast. the ship was 305 ft long, had a beam of 39ft and a displacement of 2244 gross tons.

The MALTA was launched on the 9th October 1865 and started her service on 20th February 1866, she transported both passengers and cargo, initially servicing the transatlantic shipping routes but later the ship changed to the Mediterranean service.

The fateful voyage began on 14th October 1889 when the S.S. MALTA departed from Liverpool, bound for Genoa and Venice via Falmouth. The ship was carrying a full complement of 42 crew members, 21 passengers and 2,000 tons of general cargo, the weather was clear with a moderate South Westerly breeze. At 8.55 pm the ship was clear of the land and the South Stack lighthouse had been sighted off the port beam, Captain Richard Lavis passed the order to steer a South Westerly course and “full steam ahead”

The S.S MALTA was now making her top speed of nine knots and this continued throughout the night, at 8.10 am the next morning the Captain altered course to South by West and this was maintained until 5.50 pm when he changed course again to South South West. No lighthouses had been seen to confirm the ships position, so at 7 am the captain ordered the ships speed to be reduced and the sounding lead made ready to ascertain the depth of seawater. Before the depth sounding operation could be carried out a noise was heard off the port side and soon after the S.S. MALTA steamed straight into the cliffs at Kenidjack Castle.

The MALTA quickly ground to a halt and was stuck fast on the rocks, she was so close inshore that the ship’s bowsprit was virtually touching the cliff face. Fortunately the sea was calm and the ship’s lifeboats were launched easily, by 8.30 pm all the passengers had been safely landed ashore. The crew remained onboard and made efforts to get the ship off the rocks, but the ship was slowly filling with seawater, at midnight the Captain gave the order to “abandon ship” and the crew stood by in the lifeboats until 8.30 am the next morning. Captain Lavis was the last to leave the stricken ship when the MALTA filled with water and became a total wreck. Throughout the day the local fishing boats arrived at the scene to retrieve the cargo that was floating free from the ship’s cargo holds.

The Board of Trade enquiry into the loss of the S.S MALTA proved that a navigational error was the primary cause and that Captain Lavis had not applied the compass deviation correctly, or taken into account the effect of the tide on the ships course. The Court ordered that Captain Lavis had his licence suspended for three months.

No lives were lost during the wreck of the S.S. MALTA, however one local man was drowned near the wreck after he overloaded his boat with salvaged goods from the shipwreck and it capsized.


Antique shipwreck artefact. A copper fixing pin recovered from the wreck of H.M.S. ASSOCIATION,  wrecked on the Isles of Scilly, Cornwall on 22nd Oct 1707. Mounted on  hardwood base with brass plaque.

base measures 8.5" (21cm) x 5"



Shipwreck treasure, antique coin recovered from the wreck of the Dutch East India ship HOLLANDIA, wrecked on the Scilly Isles 1743. 

A silver rider Ducaton dated 1742.